Family Law Attorney J. Marie Rudd
Marie’s Motto: Where Families Matter
Each family is unique, and the issues that clients face when they are seeking family law guidance are also one of a kind. At Rudd Law Firm, our goal is to help you make informed decisions regarding your legal issues; our hope is to help you find solutions that protect the interests of your entire family as you all navigate what is often an emotionally-charged process.
Our family law services include:
- Divorce | Deciding to divorce is seldom an easy decision. Let us help!
We provide legal counsel for both contested and uncontested divorces. Rudd Law Firm also offers collaborative divorce, a team-based approach that empowers the couple to make the decisions that will impact the family for years to income instead of turning that power over to a judge who can not possibly know all of the details that are unique to you and your family.
- Child Custody and Visitation | Less drama means less trauma.
Protect the emotional and psychological needs of all parties. Seek legal counsel for:
- Legal custody (how important decisions such as education will be made for minor children)
- Physical Custody (how will minor children share their time between parents)
- Child Support and Spousal Support | Understand your rights.
Determining how to maintain two households on a budget often designed for one household can be stressful. Whether you are seeking an award of child or spousal support, contesting the appropriate level of support, or seeking to modify an existing award, the professional staff at Rudd Law Firm can help.
- Marital Property Divisions | Seeking equitable solutions.
Sometimes “50/50” isn’t the solution that best serves both parties and the family. At Rudd Law Firm, we strive to provide insight when dividing your marital and community property so that you can use existing laws to find the most financially advantageous division of property.
- Domestic Relations Orders |
If you have a retirement account (such as a 401(k) account), military pension, civil pension or other similar account, the property judgment may not be sufficient to divide these types of accounts. You will need a separate order, a Domestic Relations Order or Military Pay Division Order, instructing the plan administrator or appropriate entity as to how to divide the account. Failure to use the proper order could result in serious tax consequences or loss of your share of such an account to a designated beneficiary.
Family Law is a broad area of law
Family law is often also referred to as matrimonial law or divorce law, but these terms are not necessarily synonymous. In reality, family law encompasses a broad scope of issues beyond simply divorce. Other events that fall under this area of practice include the following:
- Adoption (private adoption and intra-family adoption)
- Prenuptial Agreements and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Paternity Cases
- Domestic Violence including restraining orders when necessary